Almost after one year, Portugal's government has finally published the long-awaited guidelines on the new Portuguese Golden Visa changes, effective on 1 January 2022.
The residency-by-investment program of Portugal is one the most attractive programs globally, with more than 10,000 investors from all continents. You can invest in property, venture capital funds, business, capital transfer, or research and get Portuguese residency within a year and Portuguese citizenship after five years.
What are the reasons behind the recent changes?
The income generated by Portuguese Golden Visa investments has produced uneven growth in certain country areas, like the Lisbon and Porto property markets. Thus, the Portuguese government has implemented new measures to diversify investments to interior regions and increase investment volume.
Most investment options will become more expensive in recent Portugal Golden Visa changes. In addition, a new territorial qualification system will determine eligible real estate investments for the Golden Visa program.
What are the recent changes in Portugal property investment?
From 1 January 2022:
- Purchase of residential properties or investment in residential rehabilitation projects in popular urban areas like Lisbon, Porto, Setubal, and the Silver Coast will not qualify.
- A residential property will only be eligible in designated interior regions of Portugal. In a rehabilitation project, the property investment must be not less than €500,000 or €350,000.
- If the residential real estate investment is made in the country's 'low-density' area, then applicants automatically get a 20% discount on their investment.
- Investors can still purchase non-residential commercial real estate anywhere in Portugal, worth not less than €500,000 or €350,000 in case of a commercial rehabilitation project.
- If the commercial property is located in a 'low-density' area, a 20% discount applies.
- Investors can continue buying Madeira and Azores residential and commercial real estate, worth €500,000 or €350,000 if investing in a rehabilitation project.
What are the recent changes in Portugal other investment options?
As a general, other investment options will become more expensive:
- The capital transfer investment will increase from €1 million to €1.5 million.
- The investment fund amount will increase from €350,000 to €500,000.
- Investment in scientific research will increase from €350,000 to €500,000.
- Investment into an existing Portugal-registered business will grow from €350,000 to €500,000.
There are some exceptions:
- Establishment of a Portuguese company that employs at least ten local full-time employees
- Arts donation of €250,000.
What are the Low-Density and Interior Areas Eligible for a Golden Visa Property Investment?
Interior areas indicate where you can buy residential real estate to qualify for the Portugal Golden Visa. Remember, there are no location restrictions for commercial property investment.
20% discount applies to the golden visa investment in Portugal's low-density areas with less than 100 inhabitants per square km or a per capita GDP of less than 75% of the national average.
Is it still a good idea to invest in the Portugal Golden Visa program?
Portugal"s residency program is the only one where you can get residence permit in one year and citizenship in another 5 years.
The investment is still valuable and profitable.
Get more details about Portugal Golden Visa.